Dr. M. M. Amjad Hussain was born on
1st October in the year 1925, at Vill. Enayetpur, Thana
Enayetpur, District Sirajganj. He obtained his MBBS
from Calcutta Medical College in the year 1948. Currently
he is the Managing Director and Chairman of the following
- Drug International Limited
- Khwaja Yunus Ali Medical College & Hospital
- ATI Limited
- ATI Ceramics Limited
- M M Tea Estate
- Drug International Unani Limited
M. M. Amjad Hussain
Dr. M. M. Amjad Hussain started his
career as Doctor in the Medical Core in the then Pakistan
Army in the year 1950. He left the army in 1953 and
started business in Chittagong, the port city of Bangladesh.
In the year 1958 he started the first Export oriented
industry “Pakistan Kapok Mills Limited, in Chittagong
and started exporting Kapok fibers to USA.
In the year 1962 he started Textile
Industry named “Alhaj Textile Mills Limited”
(At that time this was the largest Textile Industry
in Bangladesh). In the year 1967 he has set up a Jute
Mill named, “Alhaj Jute Mills Limited” Dr.
M. M. Amjad Hussain was founder and Managing Director
of both the Textile and Jute Mills.
After liberation of Bangladesh, all
the Textile & Jute industries were nationalized
by the then Government of Bangladesh in the year 1974.
From 1974 – 1982 he was involved in Trading. After
denationalization in the year 1982, he became the Managing
Director of Alhaj Textile Mills Limited and Alhaj Jute
Mills Limited till November 1991.
It is also worth mentioning that Dr.
M M Amjad Hussain was also former chairman of Bangladesh
Textile Mills Association.
Then in 1980 he started a Pharmaceutical
industry named “Drug International Limited”
in Tongi Industrial Area. The industry became one of
the sixth largest pharmaceutical industries of the country.
The pharmaceutical industry expanded it activities by
setting up another unit under the same name “Drug
International Limited, Basic Chemical Division”
to produce bulk drugs in the year 1997 in Squibb Road,
Tongi I/A, Gazipur, which is the third largest bulk
drug manufacturer of the country. In the year 2000,
the company inducted yet another unit of “Drug
International, Sterile Unit”; it started commercial
operation in the same year. In the year 2001 another
unit in the same industry is under process of commissioning
and expected to go into commercial operation from April
In the year 1998, ATI Limited has been
established as a software development house, which is
now one of the biggest software firms in the country.
ATI Limited also has an education & training division
for development of human in the field of computer science
with collaboration of Genetic Computer School, Singapore.
In the year 2000, another industry
in the name of ATI Ceramics Ltd. was established in
the District of Gazipur, to produce ceramic and Granito
tiles. This is the only Granito tiles manufacturer in
the country till now.
He has also established
and was patron and founder of a Girls High School in
his mothers name called “Meherunnesa Girls High
School”, in the village Enayetpur, Sirajganj,
in the year 1956 which is the only Girls’ High
School in the vicinity.